As people arrived at the Montross Library for the 30th annual Black History Program on Feb. 20, they were surprised to find a fire truck sitting in the middle of the parking lot. Some even thought that perhaps the firemen were participating in the program.
They weren’t there for the program, but rather to help out with what Daisy Howard-Douglas called “an unexpected guest,” that is a gas leak in the library.
According to Westmoreland Fire Department Chief Eddie Weston, Engine Company 2 was dispatched at 5:41 p.m. for the smell of gas in the library. Montross Engine 22 responded at 5:45 p.m. and arrived on scene at 5:46 p.m. Lt. Morgans, engine officer, and the crew evacuated the building and turned the gas off at the tank. The gas company was called.
This unexpected guest, however, did not ruin the night’s fun. Douglas said they decided to move the African feast celebration outside to the parking lot and called it the “Picnic night specialty dinner”.