Town of Colonial Beach drinking water warning
DRINKING WATER WARNING
Town of Colonial Beach Water System
BOIL YOUR WATER BEFORE USING
Our water system testing recently detected a fecal indicator (E. coli)* in our water. As our customers, you are being notified to know what happened and what we are doing to correct this situation. On July 8, 2014, we collected a water sample that tested positive for E. coli.
What should I do? What does this mean?
· DO NOT DRINK THE WATER WITHOUT BOILING IT FIRST. Bring the water to a boil, let it boil for three minutes and let it cool before using, or use bottled water. Boiled or bottled water should be used for drinking, making ice, brushing teeth, washing dishes, and food preparation until further notice. Boiling kills the bacteria and other organisms in the water.
· *Fecal indicators are microbes whose presence indicates that the water may be contaminated with human or animal wastes. Microbes in these wastes can cause short-term health effects, such as diarrhea, cramps, nausea, headaches, or other symptoms. They may pose a special health risk for infants, young children, some of the elderly, and people with severely compromised immune systems.*
· The symptoms above are not caused only by organisms in drinking water. If you experience any of these symptoms and they persist, you may want to seek medical advice. People at increased risk should seek advice from their health care providers about drinking this water.
What is being done?
· System pipe flushing
· Increased Chlorination
· Increased field disinfection testing
· Additional follow-up/special and routine samples.
We will inform you when tests show no bacteria and you no longer need to boil your water.
We anticipated resolving this issue very quickly. The Town of Colonial Beach is committed to public health and safety of our citizens and visitors.
If you need further information please contact Mr. Robert Murphy or Ms. Jill Tighe at 804-224-7260. General guidelines on ways to lessen the risk of infection by microbes are available from the EPA Safe Drinking Water Hotline at 1-800-426-4791.
This notice is being sent to you by the Town of Colonial Beach