Ingleside has a long history of growth and success here in Westmoreland County.
Ingleside Plantation was built in 1834 and first served as Washington Academy, a boys’ school. Since 1890, the Flemer family has owned and operated the great estate.
It originally began as a dairy farm, but after many years Carl F. Flemer Jr. decided to expand and evolved the plantation into a nursery. While he had relatives in New Jersey who were in the nursery business, he learned mostly on his own through working in the business.
Amidst this growth, Flemer discovered that the location and conditions of the plantation were also prime for growing grapes, and thus the plantation also grew into a vineyard. Flemer began making his own wine in the 1970’s and started purchasing grapes to expand his winemaking skills.
Like the Nursery, the Vineyards were named Ingleside after the plantation and had its first commercial harvest in 1980 under the direction of Carl’s son, Doug Flemer.
Doug studied horticulture at North Carolina State University so he could prepare himself to help with the family business, Ingleside Nursery. After developing a love for winemaking and a refined palate, Doug came home to expand the initial vineyards and develop what is now Ingleside Winery.