Historic Wilton is being restored by its new owner David Bostic.
Located on Wilton Road and on Jackson Creek, Wilton is a 2½-story brick home built in 1742 by Richard Jackson. Dated from dendrochronology by Camille Wells, it is one of only about four surviving 18th-century brick houses in Westmoreland County.
Wilton is situated on a 1,000 acre grant made in 1651 that was assumed by the very wealthy Maryland planter, Thomas Gerard in 1663. One of his daughters married John Washington, great-grandfather of George Washington. Gerard built one house there and probably two others were soon added. The present house is built on one of the 17th-century structures and incorporates some of its walls.
For the full article, pick up the latest Westmoreland News 11/27/19
Wilton as it looked in the year 2000.